Apr 29, 2014

Welcome to Lucas' Library Party!

On Saturday, we celebrated the impending arrival of our newest nephew, Lucas. Lucas' mom is a librarian and I thought that it would be perfect to have a book themed baby shower. Instead of a card, guests were asked to bring a book. The baby now has his own library of picture books to get him started. I made some book page wreaths for the front doors and put a chalkboard out to welcome guests. It was such a lovely day, full of so much celebration, delicious food, and laughter. I took many pictures, and I will warn you in advance that this is one photo heavy blog post! So, come on in and check out our party.

Welcome to Lucas' Library
I had so much fun decorating, and after having spent countless hours on Pinterest, I came up with plenty of adorable little displays. Some tiny wooden chairs were the perfect spot for a couple of reading bear cubs to hang out, and to add the letter "L" to the display.


At the entry we set up a book display. I used a couple of tiny red chairs, and made some book page bunting for the stair rail. I also made a book page wreath, and added the baby's name to the centre. 


Ready to get reading?


The living room was great fun to decorate as well.  For months I had been hunting around for some old fashioned style wooden blocks. I was so excited to find several bags of them at a local thrift store. I grabbed all the bags and headed to the cash. On my way out, I couldn't believe it when I spied the most amazing item - a lamp with blocks all over! EEEEK! I grabbed that as well, and for less than $10.00 I had found the most perfect collection for a side table.




 I apologize for the quality of this image, I had taken many photos at night because I knew I wouldn't have time in the morning. Not a great photo, but you get the idea! I used a vintage baby scale and added some books. I found a lovely printed sign for the top. I dug through those bags of blocks I found, and discovered the baby's initials, LDB. Perfect!


Some plastic balls filled up one of my favourite apothecary jars for the coffee table. We had several little ones come to the party (including 4 two year olds!), and it turned out that they couldn't wait to get their hands on the balls. I don't know how I hadn't thought of that! However, the kids loved the balls and many of them took a few home when they left. Even my dog ran around chasing a few wayward balls so everyone was happy.


 In the front hall there were tiny baby shoes tucked into another apothecary jar, and some delicious "L" cookies resting in vintage file bins.

Yummy!



Everyone hopped on over to Peter Rabbit's garden (also known as my dining room!) to enjoy a salad bar lunch. My favourite thing from the whole party was the Peter Rabbit salad vase full of all the things any rabbit would love! We put the salad dressings in baby bottles and added a few planted "carrots" to the mix. The table was rimmed in faux grass that I bought in a huge strip and cut it down to fit all around the edges.


Peter Rabbit's favourite things!

Doesn't that grass look like the real thing? 
Check out the rabbit's pom pom tails - CUTE!

Even the bathroom got decorated for the party! I added fabric alphabet strips to a hand towel, and covered a soap dispenser in a book page. I found a wooden "L" sticker and stuck it on the front. A few tissue paper pompoms added the final touch.



Thirsty? Come and grab a book party water bottle! I cut 2 inch strips from old books and glued them around the water bottles. Red polka dot straws were tied to the top with raffia (Oh, you didn't think I would leave polka dots out of the action, did you?) . I used my fabric scrap bin from Ikea to hold the water bottles. Along with the blocks I scored, there was a bag of magnetic letters. I just stuck them all over the metal bin. I couldn't believe my luck when I found a large "L" in the mix, and all the letters needed to add baby's name to the front. 



A reading dino? Good job he's under glass -might be dangerous!
Ok, let's talk about this cake. Seriously, this cake is the BEST cake I have ever eaten. It was made by Kristin over at Sugar & Love Bakery http://sugarandlovebakery.com. Underneath all that fabulous exterior is the best lemon blueberry cake with lemon curd you will EVER taste. Didn't she do a great job on the book cake? Kristin also made the sugar cookies, decorated with green polka dots and the letter "L". Delicious! 







My brother and his wife opened up all the generous gifts that were brought to the party. I think that they are almost ready for the baby to arrive now. I know that Big Bro and Big Sis sure are!



On their way out, all guests were given a cookie and a little marble composition book with a pen. I shredded up some old pages and stuffed them into the clear bags along with the tiniest little notebook.   


It was a marvellous party, and the perfect way to celebrate. My two favourite ladies and my best friends, my mom and my mother-in-law, worked so hard and helped immeasurably with the preparations. We always have fun together and have lots of laughs. I was sad to see them head home yesterday, however, I have already had a chat with each of them on the phone so I miss them just a little less. I told them they could go into catering, but I'm pretty sure this one was just a huge labour of love. This party was the perfect reflection of what family is all about - lots of hard work, but so much joy. Now, we wait for baby Lucas to arrive, so he too can join our ranks. We will welcome him with open arms, and I sure look forward to being part of his journey. 


No comments:

Post a Comment