Nov 25, 2013

Tote Bag Week - Bag One!

By far, my favourite thing to sew has got to be the book bag. I just love that it is a very useful item, but can also be so whimsical and personal. Also, they appeal to all ages. The past couple of weeks have found me happily stitching away and working on several book bags that are heading off to new homes for Christmas. Isn't that a lovely gift? A book bag, along with a book is just perfect and so unique. This week, I plan to share a new bag every day. Today's featured tote bag is all about the fox craze that is taking over the internet! I fell in love with this adorable design, and it is just perfect for the pink/orange combination that I am fond of. And let's talk about that pink flower???? Very cute for our little friend Fox.


These tote bags are made to be used! In order to accommodate trips to the library for example, I reinforce the handles and add box stitches for added durability. A generous flat base allows the bag to sit upright and all ready to be loaded up with stuff. They are the perfect size for everyday running around, and the design is one that I created myself based upon experience. I knew the tote bag needed a nice wide opening, gussets to provide a flat base and stability, along with a generous helping of C-U-T-E!!! I also sew them so that there are no seams that have to be sewed up leaving unsightly, visible stitching lines in an otherwise cleanly finished product. However did I do that, you ask? Lots of trial and error to begin with. Then, one night I woke up with a grand plan and put it into action the next day. Success! A tote bag with entirely finished seams - my lofty goal achieved! Can you guess how it is done? 

Here are a few more pictures of today's tote bag. I recognize the last one is a bit blurry, but it does give you a nice close up view. Check in again tomorrow and have a peek at a little boy tote. Here's a hint about the design...don't get too close - it might bite! Roar!

So pretty under the tree. Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment