Oct 4, 2013

When Is Laundry More Than Laundry?

 Truer words have never been spoken:


Over here at our house, we certainly agree with this quote! Our twin arrivals came as quite the little surprises fourteen years ago, and they created no small number of challenges/adventures for us to navigate. Some of these issues are ongoing. One in particular leads me to amend this quote to say, "There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared: Twins. And the laundry they create." 


It lives!!! Run and hide!

The laundry at our house is never ending. We have moved along the continuum from tiny preemie sleepers to piles of jeans with legs so long they give me pause.  In fact, it has become almost like another member of the family. Soon I am going to set it a place at the dinner table, and I am considering buying "Laundry" a Christmas present. The washer and dryer are on permanent full time shifts, and I don't even want to think about the electricity and energy involved in the whole affair. Let's just say it probably equals a luxury trip around the world (in clean clothes!).  My machines have a lovely little song to let me know when a cycle is complete, like they are trying to fool me with lyrical trickery. Doesn't matter if it is a loud buzzer, or a sweet song. It's still my call to action, and the end result is the same. I am no laundry novice, and I won't be fooled.

In order to cope, I have had to change my attitude with regards to the ongoing struggle. I am trying to be glad that my girls want to change outfits so many times because it means they are establishing a firm sense of their own individual styles. I have decided that my untold trips up and down the stairs carrying baskets of clothing is a perfectly good form of exercise. Having sports uniforms to launder is a sign that my kids are engaged, healthy, and involved, albeit a bit smelly : ).  Lastly, I feel that having laundry to fold is a reasonable excuse to catch up on some TV shows that I have been missing. All this work is a sign that life is good, and I know that like all stages, the "Laundry Overload" will morph into some other form eventually. I might even miss it, and all it entails. Because it is about so much more than soap, bubbles and folding. So, you see? So many positives come from the piles that emerge from all bedrooms in this house. If I'm really lucky, I even get a little "help" from a friend!

Rosie the wonder dog always at the ready!

Happy Friday! Wishing you all a great weekend, full of good things. Like laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment