Feb 23, 2014

Bath Time for Baby...And a New Sewing Room Addition Too!


Lately I've been sewing up a storm for the new baby (my nephew!) who will join our family in the spring. Since my own children are now teenagers, the delightful addition of a tiny baby has been luring me into my sewing room at almost every opportunity. It is such fun to plan a project, and then select the adorable fabrics to complete it. 


When my babies were little, I had a couple of hooded towels that were really handy for after the bath, or at the swimming pool. So, I decided to sew one up for baby boy. I used a pattern that called for a full sized towel, along with a facecloth that is made into the hood. I purchased the towels at Target, and I found that they had a wide selection of delightful colours. Also, the towels were very soft, becoming softer even after a run through the washing machine. Perfect! The hood is lined with a fun animal print. I used my serger for this project, and it really was quite simple. I love my serger, especially for projects like this. The results are professional with seams that are clean and secure. The towel worked up quickly and I am certain that it will be a very useful gift for the new parents, and a cozy item for baby.

In other news, I gave into temptation and brought home a brand-new toy for my sewing room. I am the proud owner of the new Brother Scan and Cut. You can check it out here: http://www.brother-usa.com/scanncut/.  I purchased it specifically for the fabric cutting feature because there are many times when the project is small and I don't want to hoop and computerize for one letter, or re-hoop a long name. I also love the look of appliqué done this way - a little more shabby chic with edges that soften and fray a bit after a few washes. It has a different feel to it than appliqué done on an embroidery machine. I love both looks equally, so I knew it would be a good investment for me. I just took it out of the box last night after spending the evening reviewing the instruction manual from front to back. This morning, after the hockey game of course, I headed straight into my little sewing room full of anticipation. The results? True love! This little machine cut out the letters smooth as can be, after only a bit of testing and minimal frustration! I can already tell that the blog will be home to many projects made with my new sewing room friend. Once I have spent a little more time playing with this machine, I will share a few more thoughts. If you would like to purchase one for yourself, I suggest you visit That Sewing Place here in Newmarket. Not only are they knowledgeable about their products, but they will go out of their way to assist you in any way they can. One of the things I hate most is a business that fails to provide customer service once you have made the purchase. You will never-ever experience that if you shop at That Sewing Place. Friendly from the moment you walk in, every single time, this family run business is always ready to assist with a smile. You can find their website here:  http://www.thatsewingplace.ca. Tell Liana and Evelyn that I sent you!

I am working on a few other goodies for baby, so check back soon. Have a happy day!

5 comments: