Jun 10, 2014

Popsicles and Babies - Both Messy Propositions!

I hope you all had a great weekend! I was really supposed to be sewing but I was rather busy doing something else that kept my attention away from fabric. I wasn't sure that was possible, but here is the proof!

Lukey loves a snuggle - and I do too!
My brother and his wife brought the kids over for a swim, and I spent as much time as possible snuggling my little bug of a nephew, Lucas. He is still so tiny, with legs and arms that appear almost delicate. I know how this works.  In the blink of an eye, he will be big, and being the last baby of the family, I must soak it all up. It gave me time to fully investigate the impossibly tiny toes, and slender hands that resemble miniature starfish. I was unapologetic about sitting with him all afternoon. After all, I take my responsibilities very seriously. It wasn't a difficult task, and he just adores being curled up and swaddled.  So, yes. I was "busy" that day. We went for a walk with the new stroller, and I paraded him around the neighbourhood with pride. Diapers were changed, cries were soothed, and tiny eyes opened occasionally to survey the new surroundings. Someone had to do it! Auntie Shan to the rescue! And then I gave him back and had a full night's sleep. Perfect!

Back to the tote bag! Summer seems to have finally arrived here in Ontario. Today has been hot, hazy and humid. During the warmer months, my husband and I enjoy having our tea outside by the swimming pool after dinner. We have a bird feeder, and it is really fun to watch all the birds come by for a visit. Our yard is full of lovely flowers, and we are surrounded by many mature trees. It is such a nice way to pass an evening after a long day. This hot weather has both of us thinking we should replace our tea with something more refreshing and seasonally appropriate. How about popsicles? Everyone loves popsicles, and we might even manage to lure our teenage twins out to sit with us if we promise a sweet treat. So, onto today's tote bag. Guess what theme it is!!! That's right, popsicles.


This medium sized tote bag was ordered as a birthday present for a 10 year old. The bag had to be colourful, and pinks and greens were requested. When I saw this lining fabric, I knew instantly what design I wanted to use. Isn't that lining fabric fabulous? It is so vibrant and just screams, "SUMMER!" at the top of its lungs. I was instantly taken back to that place and time in my life when summer meant long days spent on Lake Nipissing, and sandy toes that I rubbed together when I crawled into bed (sorry about that, Mom!), and trying to sleep when the sun was still up at my bedtime. Does anyone remember the ice cream trucks on wheels called Dickie Dee? I loved the tri-coloured popsicles just like that red, white and blue one you can see on the left.  I never was able to eat the entire thing without it dripping its neon colours all over my face, hands, hair and clothing. By the time I was done, there was usually sand mixed in with the sticky residue. Those Dickie Dee bikes were the first thing that came to mind when I saw this fabric, and I could almost hear the jingling bell the driver would ring as they cycled along the sidewalk. The only problem was that I grew up in a house that has a very long driveway. My young ears certainly could pick up the bells, but retrieving money, and subsequently running all the way out the driveway in time was usually an unsuccessful venture. Oh well. It made the times I actually enjoyed the popsicle that much sweeter. At least that's what I'm going with. 

Yummy!
I think this is the perfect gift for a summer birthday, don't you? I hope the new owner of this tote bag has a summer full of days spent creating her own popsicle memories.  Last night (and this is the truth!) I had a dream I was sewing up a new design . So today I got to work and made up a prototype based upon said dream. I've often dreamt about making things but never woken up to design it! I am just adding the finishing touches so check back soon. Have a happy day - and go create something. You'll be so glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment