Sep 29, 2014

E is for Elephant - An Obsession with Grey!

It all started with Shark Week. We were all glued to the t.v., learning multitudinous random facts about the shark, when the obsession began. My obsession with the colour grey that is. It just shows you that I really can't stray too far from my desire to sew, because everything turns into a reason to acquire fabric, and some fixation on a particular colour. Even Shark Week. Suddenly everything grey seemed to belong in my sewing room. Grey fabric, grey trims, grey webbing for handles....the list goes on. So, I was beyond delighted when I was contacted to create a baby shower gift the would feature elephants. Not sharks, mind you, but elephants are grey too!!! Oh joyous day!!! It became" Elephant Week" in my sewing room as I gleefully set to work on the tote bag and other baby necessities, surrounding myself with all of my grey goodies. These items needed to be gender neutral so I chose yellow and turquoise as accent colours. I added in some trendy chevron and it all came together. 

Tote Bag Front

Tote Bag Back
For added whimsy and fun I added some polka dots to the back and used two different fabrics for the lining.

Colourful Lining
The elephant/grey party did not stop at the tote bag! I whipped up a soft bib and absorbent burp cloth too.






Last but not least, I made a super soft and snuggly blanket to tuck inside the tote bag. Small squares of chevron, minky, fleece, flannel and elephant fabric were all part of this quilt design, and I think the finished product is perfect for keeping baby cozy. 





I wrapped everything up, and couldn't resist adding an adorable "E is for Elephant" tag to top it all off. Thanks to Suzanne for her order, and I hope the new baby will enjoy all of the useful items.



Elephant Week was a huge success, and I must say that I am still feeling very positively about the fabulous colour grey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment